Saturday, March 30, 2013

People travel film director / experience as a photographer?

Consider created by 2+2 = duh.: Anybody have experience as a travel filmmaker/photographer?

I will be going off on a long Southeast Asia backpacking trip. I am into filmmaking and photography, but am curious as to what I should bring. The balance between quality and portability weighs on my mind. What am I getting into and should I be worried carrying around all the equipment? What kind of etiquette should I take when filming and photographing people and places? Any insight into this would be great. Thank you.


However this is pertaining to Anybody have experience as a travel filmmaker/photographer? which you can might want to solve conditions alone. Hopefully this’ll help in many ways: that will create the way you live far better. Dreaming pertaining to Anybody have experience as a travel filmmaker/photographer? tend to be a strategy as time goes on.

Optimum solution:


Answer by fhotoace

I spent nine and a half weeks sailing in the Caribbean last summer. I hiked nine islands and did a lot of seascape and landscape photography as well as “travel” photography of the highlights of the trip.


I used a Nikon D100 with the MB-D100 battery pack and three lenses … a 12-24mm for the landscapes and shots of the sailing vessel under sail, a 24-85mm f/2.8 macro for the rest of the photography and a 70-300mm I used maybe two or three times. I took four 1GB, eight 2GB and two 4GB CF cards. I also took my notebook computer and transferred the images at every opportunity.


I carried all the equipment in a generic backpack that did not say, “Steal me, I have camera gear inside”.


When I had time, I backed up all the files on DVD disks.


I shot most everything as Large resolution and Fine quality. Files were about 3MB each. When shooting for a specific assignment, I shot using RAW + JPEG Basic.


Answer by Fotoman

When I backpack I carry a short zoom, a long zoom and sometimes a teleconverter. Don’t forget a small tripod. I have an article about travel tripods on my blog you can find below.


Before you go, check into the culture and religion of where you are going. Some religions don’t approve of photos (they believe it steals the soul). And some cultures are not so friendly to foriegn photographers. Do a little homework and respect their values. If you are not sure, ask. A smile will usually get you what you want.


If I am taking candids on the street I will often ‘shoot from the hip’ where I do not look through the viewfinder, or I try to shoot subjects so they do not see me. Another way to go is to have an angle finder on your viewfinder. This allows you to stand looking at 90 degrees to the angle you are shooting. Does not make people so suspicious.


Change the strap on your camera so it does not say the brand of camera you are using. Use black tape to cover the “Canon” on the camera itself and the lens caps. Even put some duct tape in places so your camera and gear is not a target for thieves.


Have a great trip!


Do know much better?

Leave your own personal answer inside a comments!


People travel film director / experience as a photographer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive